- a couple of ulcers on their big toe
- infected bone underneath the ulcers
- when they go to the hospital they are suddenly diagnosed with Type II diabetes
- they have never been treated with antibiotics for the toe
- there's cellulitis (infected skin) on the top of the affected toe and foot
More to the point, is cutting off the big toe hyper-aggressive treatment if antibiotics weren't tried first?
I'm trying to find this out ASAP for a friend who looks like he's about to have his big toe lopped off this afternoon.