Lynn Gold (figmo) wrote,
Lynn Gold

Second entry (okay, so I'm boring with my titles)

My boss is at a conference. My technical contacts are at lunch. I've eaten lunch.

The weekend went roughly as expected except for the part where I totally ran out of energy and wound up skipping both parties I'd planned on attending Saturday night. I felt kind of crummy for not going; both were in Mountain View (the town in which I live), and both were less than five minutes by car from me -- AND from each other.

I'm fighting a cold and I hate it. I can't take pain killers for my sore throat because of the effing biopsy coming up Thursday, so I've been flushing out my sinuses each morning and night, pumping Zicam (I forgot to bring it to work! WAAAA!), and drinking lots of fluids.

Last night I learned a couple of other friends I didn't know about have had recent cancer surgery. Ouch. I hope they're going to be okay. Losing friends sucks.

The weather here is really weird. When I was in the cafeteria I saw heavy, dank clouds to the left and bright blue sky and fluffy white clouds to the right. It was as if someone had put two different backdrops on the two windows.

I met more of my fellow writers at lunch today. One was in my class with me Thursday and told the rest of them I "kicked butt." I was running on empty, but my competetive side kicked in when I learned there was a prize to be awarded at the end of class (it was a pair of Pierre Cardin pens, and they're on my kitchen table :-) ). I also learned I can get sushi made-to-order if I'm at the cafeteria at the right time. One of the other writers had a plate of it, and it looked really yummy. Today I opted for the orange chicken, although I really should've doused it with hot oil rather than merely drizzling it on. I was hoping to "sand blast" my sinuses.

Some nights I know what I'm doing; this is not one of them. Friday night's Burmese dinner was yummy. We tried a noodle salad that was simultaneously squishy (noodle-like) and crunchy (it also had fried noodles). It was weird and we gave it a thumbs-up. The general rule at Rangoon is "if it says 'Burmese' in the description, you can't go wrong." We've always done well.

After dinner we hit the Prolific Oven and had dessert. Most notable was the addition of Sweet 'n' Low to the place's coffee setup. For years the Prolific Oven has had a "no artificial sweeteners" policy (as if refined sugar is "natural"), so this was major.

Afterwards Brette, who owns the BBS through which we gather and who was driving, had a friend doing a photo-art exhibit, so we went to the gallery. The exhibit is by Allan Hayes, it's really cool, and it's at the corner of Alma and, I think, Addison. We chatted with Allan about how he took the photos on extra-large film, scanned the slides in at ultra-high resolution on a Hell drum scanner, tweaked the colors in Photoshop to make it look like they were on a lightboard, and then output them using high-resolution printers.

Saturday I went to brunch and then to shop make-up class. I was covered with birch shavings from plowing everything through the router, but Costco was only open for about an hour after class ended, so I went straight there. As I stood in line with my turkey dogs (for Warren) and batteries (for me), people kept asking me what I'd "been playing in." Sigh. I went home and had to take a complete shower because the wood wouldn't brush out of my hair.

After the shower I was too tired to go anywhere, but I had this godawful craving for those cheddar biscuits they serve at Red Lobster. I was searching the web for something else when I came across two recipes that simulated them. I had all the ingredients on hand, so I tried making them. Note to self: Remove them from the oven when they start to turn brown.

They were a little dark on the bottom, but they were okay. IMHO the ones at Red Lobster had more fat in them and were saltier, but that's not a big deal for me.

The recipe:

  • 2 cups buttermilk baking mix (read: Bisquick)

  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder

  • 2/3 cup milk (I needed a full cup)

  • around 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese

  • 1/4 cup butter (I had to substitute diet margarine, as I was out of the Real Thing)

  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash's)

To make:

  1. Preheat oven to 450F.

  2. Combine first four ingredients in bowl; mix gently.

  3. Drop biscuits by "heaping tablespoonfuls" closer to 1/4 cup each) on a greased baking sheet.

  4. Bake for 8-10 minutes (until they just start turning brown).
  5. While they're baking, melt the butter till at least soft and combine with the Italian seasoning.

  6. When removing biscuits from the oven, brush with the Italian seasoning/butter mixture.

Serve warm.

  • My Job Has Been Offshored

    My boss called a 9:30 meeting this morning (on his day off!) to tell me that due to cost-cutting, my job is being moved to Romania. Effective…

  • Friday Silliness

    We're having a "2018 Lenovo Idol" contest at work. The winners get flown to China to participate in their 2018 Spring Festival. This is my entry.

  • RIP Jordin Kare

    Jordin coded yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon. From what I can gather, he'd had heart valve replacement surgery and never woke up from it. This was a…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.