The engineering department looked shell-shocked when I told them, including the VP and Director of Engineering. I swapped business cards with the VP, and everyone said they'd give me a good reference. They seem like they'd like to bring me back if they can afford to do so; I made it a point to be as professional as possible.
Since I got home about an hour ago I've already applied for three jobs (I don't believe in wasting time). It's pretty bleak out there, but I've got to plug away. I can't afford to be out of work.
My goal for next week: Get all medical appointments out of the way while my COBRA still exists, and clean house. There aren't enough jobs out there to keep me busy applying 40 hours/week (sigh). I figure I'll wait on applying for Unemployment till after 1/1 so I get the better rate ($40 more per week).
If anyone needs a UNIX-savvy tech writer, my resume is available here.